Element 2: Governance and Leadership’s Role in a QAPI Program
Develops and fosters a culture where QAPI is a priority by:
- Ensuring policies to sustain the program despite change and turnover
- Involving leadership and seeks the input from facility staff, residents and their families and/or representatives.
- Ensures staff accountability, while creating an atmosphere where staff is comfortable identifying and reporting quality programs as well as well as opportunities for improvement.
- Assures adequate resources exist to conduct QAPI efforts
- Designation of staff
- Development of leadership and facility-wide training on QAPI
- Ensuring staff time, equipment and technical training as needed
- Responsible for setting expectations, around safety, quality, rights, choice and respect by balancing safety with resident centered rights and choice
Action Steps May Include:
- Selecting QAPI champions leaders
- Conducting QAPI roll out meetings with residents, families and staff
- Establishing a QAPI organizational chart