Foreign Education Credentials for Employees

The question was asked after a recent PHCA Workforce Committee meeting about getting a waiver for an employee with a foreign education credential to work as a wellness associate in a personal care setting.

It should be noted that in 2018 waiver requests for non-US education were the most requested waivers and according to the 2018 report, a majority of these waivers requested were not needed.

If an individual has non-US education, the first step is to obtain documentation that the non-US education program is equivalent to or exceeds US educational requirements. This can be obtained through World Education Services, or another similar entity. Once that documentation is compiled, a waiver request along with the documentation can be submitted to Pennsylvania’s Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL).

Attached is the waiver request form and Educational Requirements outlined in the RCG and below is a link to World Education Services: International Credential Evaluation.

 Educational-Requirements.pdf  Request-for-Waiver-BHSL.pdf

Find Care in PA

Nursing Homes, Assisted Living and Personal Care

  • Search by type of care, and by location
  • Map the results
  • Research the facilities