Director of Advocacy and Government Relations
Posted: 12/09/2019Pennsylvania Health Care Association
The Pennsylvania Health Care Association (PHCA) is a trade association representing assisted living, personal care, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation communities in Pennsylvania. PHCA is committed to promoting members’ common interests in creating and sustaining a robust quality care delivery system for Pennsylvania’s aging and disabled individuals. PHCA is looking for a relationship focused professional to support the objectives of this influential organization.
The person in this position will serve as PHCA’s chief lobbyist and also direct PHCA’s advocacy efforts in the Pennsylvania General Assembly and Executive branch and at the federal level with Congress and the Administration. The person in this position will lead the strategic and tactical components related to advancing PHCA’s legislative and regulatory agenda. In addition, the person in this position shall lead PHCA’s political activities including all PAC activities such as raising monies, soliciting contributions and distributing funds. The person in this position will serve as a resource to PHCA members grassroots advocacy coordinators so that PHCA continues to be recognized as the leading advocacy association for the long-term care sector.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Direct and lead a comprehensive and effective Government relations program:
- Lead and coordinate all PHCA lobbying and legislative activity in Harrisburg and Washington, DC.
- Serve as PHCA’s chief lobbyist cultivating relationships with legislators and staff, executive branch officials and key staff, trade association leaders and others influential in the legislative and policy-making processes.
- Provide support to legislators and policy makers assisting them in carrying out their duties by providing reliable data and information and serving as a resource for long-term care issues, including providing access to experts and knowledgeable industry professionals.
- Draft and deliver testimony or offer and prepare PHCA members to testify before legislative or administrative committees.
- Lead all grassroots activity with membership: coordinating member facility grassroots coordinators activities; guiding and supporting legislative visits to member facilities; facilitating board member legislative engagement; managing legislative rally activities; facilitate relationship building between PHCA members and legislators and other public officials, and providing education and training to members on conducting grassroots advocacy.
- Lead the development and implementation of a legislative agenda including: crafting legislation and developing and deploying a corresponding legislative strategy.
- Develop and disseminate fact sheets and collateral materials and information to support lobbying efforts and advancing PHCA legislative priorities.
- Analyze, track and evaluate legislative and regulatory proposals and develop and implement appropriate strategies to secure PHCA’s position relative to those proposals.
- Convene member committees, such as the Lawsuit Abuse Committee, to guide the development of a legislative agenda and its components.
- Direct and manage the activities of PHCA’s external lobbying team, including necessary policy and legislative meetings.
- Prepare regular legislative updates for the membership: monthly update calls, legislative update newsletter, important legislation tracking on website, articles, fact sheets, blogs, letters and others as necessary.
- Assist AHCA with its grass roots advocacy in Pennsylvania.
- Coordinate PHCA engagement in AHCA Congressional lobbying activities and events.
- Lead PHCA’s political engagement and PAC activities
- Lead the fundraising efforts for PHCAs PAC and related PACs.
- Coordinate political fundraising events for targeted legislators and governmental leaders.
- Coordinate the development and deployment of the contribution strategy for the PHCA PAC.
- Attend political fundraising events and activities as necessary.
- Develop, disseminate, review and report candidate surveys for Pennsylvania legislative and statewide candidates.
- Develop and maintain a legislative scorecard for tracking and measuring legislative support.
- Assist members in their “get out the vote” activities.
- Effectively serve as a fully engaged member of the PHCA team.
- Pitch-in and carry out the tasks needed to successfully conduct major events.
- Coordinate government affairs activities and communications with other appropriate staff such as the Director of Education and Events and the Director of Communications.
- Advance the mission and uphold the values and standards of conduct of PHCA.
Qualifications: Preferred candidates will have some combination of the following qualifications:
- Substantial political fundraising experience.
- Direct lobbying experience and passion to effectively advocate for PHCA member priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interact and develop relationships with a variety of types of individuals in a variety of positions.
- Knowledge and experience in legislative relations, legislative advocacy, political or PAC fundraising, issue campaigns and grassroots advocacy.
- Proficiency in communicating effectively and professionally in all forms of communication (written, verbal, public, social media) and with all types of government officials and organizational leaders, as well as internal team members. Strong writing skills are critical.
- Research and analysis capabilities with an understanding of the policy and political climate.
- Skill and experience in directing or managing complex projects.
- Five years of experience working in a political or governmental environment.
- Knowledge of the Pennsylvania General Assembly as well as a general interest in and knowledge of public policy, long-term care policy and regulations.
Compensation and Benefits:
PHCA offers competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience.
The benefits package includes:
- Medical insurance beginning the date of hire.
- Dental and vision insurance.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Life insurance.
- 401K plan with company match
- Generous holiday and leave policies.
- Standard business hours except during events, about six per year.
PHCA is a highly respected and influential trade association in Harrisburg, made up of a small team of skilled, energetic and knowledgeable professionals, all focused on advancing quality and improving lives. Long-term care will be at the forefront of the public policy debate for the next generation and PHCA will be at the center forging solutions and creating a healthier climate for Pennsylvania’s long-term care providers and residents.
Submit your resume by Monday January 6, 2020.
The Lancaster Group has a client base is nation-wide and includes long term care and senior housing providers such as skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities and HUD assisted affordable housing. Other healthcare clientele includes home health agencies, rehabilitation and other specialty hospitals and traditional IPPS hospitals. We also represent provider associations in various regulatory impact analysis and Medicaid reimbursement rate setting negotiating efforts.Learn more about our business partners
Nursing Homes, Assisted Living and Personal Care
- Search by type of care, and by location
- Map the results
- Research the facilities